-

Thursday, March 29, 2012

can you and yours read an analog clock face?




Photobucket
my friend's 20 year old daughter, a soph. at a private college, cannot. i suspect it's just a cultural thing. there are probably lots of others...... 
this really is the digital age.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
some friends from a music  forum have responded to my discussion:
"Ask her to write in cursive why she can't."
"I can, also know how to tie my shoes."
"Have you noticed how few cashiers can actually make change these days? Especially if the cash register malfunctions?"
I teach teenagers and, sadly, more and more struggle with reading an analogue clock."
"So how many of you old farts can read a sundial as quickly as you can your watch?Although, I must confess I have the opposite problem. 10:50 looks like halfway to eleven.."
"Clocks, making change, no problem, but my otherwise quite-intelligent daughter had to confront the rotary phone challenge a year or so ago and failed miserably. "
a local friend today writes metoday  that spelling is no longer a gradeable subject.


HOW MANY OF TODAY'S YOUNG FOLK  WOULD NOW KNOW WHAT THE ROCK ANTHEM  "ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK'"  IS ABOUT?  

No comments: